About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Keeping a Journal


Today I want to talk about keeping a journal.  I believe this is so important to do.  I recommend it for beginners and also the more advanced.  I'd recommend both a food journal and a workout journal.  They can all be in the same page/book, but you could write it all day.
Your food journal should write down everything you ate for the day and when you ate it!  Include in it what you drink.  Did you drink 64 oz of water for the day.  Estimate portion sizes, total cal. intake,...  Then if you ate stuff for any particular reason, note that too.  Was it a stress thing, were you bored,....  At the end of the day, but a note in your journal how you think you did.  On a 1-5 scale, were you a 5 perfect or at a 1 terrible?  You can use Michi's Ladder as a good "go to" to determine if your food was higher on the food tiers, or at the bottom.  (You can obtain a copy of Michi's Ladder in the Beachbody Nutrition Guide Book.)
Now right down your workout.  What did you do today, how long, how many reps, how much weight.  Right it all day.  Also right down, was my energy high today, or did I just push through it,...  First writing down tells you exactly where you are at (no guessing what weight to start with), also points out where you are improving or need to make a slight push to go a little further then what you have been doing.
By seeing everything written down, you will begin to notice trends- did you not have enough energy for your workout, when when did you eat last before the workout and what did you eat?  Are you eating and adding extra calories everyday after work because it's a habit?  You can only tweak your workouts and diet if you know where your main problems are.  
Plus, writing it down makes you accountable.  You can see for yourself where you in the most need of help.  You don't need to share this with anyone but yourself.  On the same token, if you are struggling and can't figure out why- you have information to give to your coach to help you figure it out.  They may see the little things you don't!

No comments: