About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Take it outside




This past weekend was a long holiday weekend, Memorial Day. That means the start of warm weather. Warm weather means being outside.

I like to switch my workouts up a little, especially when it comes to taking time to be outside. There are many ways to keep your workouts fun and enjoyable just by changing it up a little. I'm not saying to stop doing your Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, P90X,... whatever you are currently doing, I'm just saying substitute days here and there to be outside and enjoy life.

There are so many options for the summer, swimming, biking, and running, tennis. One of my favorite summer activities is sailing. I find being out in the Chesapeake Bay on my sailboat just enjoying the sun and fresh air to be so peaceful and relaxing. I also find that controlling the sailboat to do what I want and not what the wind wants takes a lot of strength. I'm out there pulling the sails in, which is fighting Mother Nature and her strength of wind power (not always an easy task mind you). This is a great workout for arm and upper body. When I am at the wheel, and controlling the boat takes more arm strength and force to keep her pointed in the direction I want the boat to go. This sometimes can be a fight against the wind and waves. My sore arms the next day make me realize I typically work a lot harder then I think when I am out there sailing and having fun. Other ways sailing is a great workout is that while I am sailing and standing behind the wheel, my legs are firmly focused on having a good steady grip so I don't fall or lose control of the wheel. My core (abs) is working on maintaining balance as the boat bounces in the water. I consider my boat to be the biggest balance board in the world. (Ok, so I can dream that my boat is the biggest boat out there, but you catch the drift.)

Now, what do you do outside? Gardening, biking, playing baseball? There is so much to do the options are endless. Whatever it is you enjoy doing, just think of the workout you are getting. Maybe concentrate on the form a little more to give a little extra push to your activity to make it a workout. For example, keep good squat/lunge form as you lower yourself to pull the weeds? Just a little bonus workout for the legs! I focused on using my abs as I had to paint the bottom of the boat. I tried to use the up/down motions and draw on inner strength from my abs to support my back,... Again, using the little things I learn from my inside workouts to make my outside chores also a good workout.

Once my weekend of fun on the water comes to an end, it's time to bring it back inside and continue my workouts where I left off. When I return, it’s like I never missed a beat, its right back to my scheduled routines. I just stay focused on my goals. I just think that all the hard work we do inside working out is to help us enjoy all the stuff we do outside. So, take the time and take your workouts outside. Stop and smell the flowers as you take a moment to catch your breath the next time you are on your walk (run)! These little things are what life is about! Plus, it keeps your daily indoor workouts fresh. When you return, you are stronger and ready because you just had a little break from the same old routine.

3 comments:

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

thanks for this, heather. I plan to take some of my workouts outside this summer. I'm too HOT not to! Gotta show this body in motion. Hee hee.

Love your blog!

Coach Jenny said...

Nice, I was there with you on a boat. Only I did not deal with managing it. I just closed my eyes and basked in the sun! thanks for a mini-imagined vacation!

Heather B. said...

Guys, I love being outside! It's so much a part of why I do this- so I can wear the tiny cloths out there!

Thanks, and stop by often. Jen, I promise to finish my X story soon!