About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Monday, June 2, 2008

Determine your maximum heart rate


It's so important during a workout to pay attention to your heart rate.  If it's to high, you are putting to much strain on your heart.  If it's too low, your not putting enough into your workout.  Therefore, there is such a thing as a target heart rate zone that you should be working out in.
You can check your heart rate by 
1.  Taking your pulse.  Place your index and middle fingers directly under your ear, then slide your fingers down until they are directly under your jawbone, pressing lightly. Start with zero on the first beat and count for 10 seconds then multiply by six. Always check your pulse frequently throughout your workout to make sure you within your target heart rate zone.
2.  The easiest method is to use a heart rate monitor.  There are many types in the stores these days, so check one out.  Some even compute the calories burned in a workout, a little extra bonus.  
3.  A general rule of thumb, is you should be able to have a conversation.  If you are totally out of breathe, you are working to hard.  And remember if you are lightheaded or dizzy, also slow down and rest.
To determine your maximum heart rate, use the following equation:
If you are 30 or below, then your Max. HR is = 220- your age
If you are over 30, then your Max. HR is = 190 - (your age- 30)/2
For example, if you are 50 yr, then your Max HR = 190 - (50-30)/2 = 180 bpm.
Now that you calculated your maximum heart rate to workout in, you can determine the zone you should stay in.  That, will be discussed in more detail tomorrow.

No comments: