About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Target Heart Rate


To make sure you are getting out of the workout, you need to workout in your Heart Rate Training Zone.  Your target heart rates will be based on a percentage of your maximum heart rate (MHR).  We did that math yesterday, so if you need to refresh yourself go check out the post - Determine You Maximum Heart Rate.
Here are the different phases:
The energy Efficient or Recovery Zone
60% to 70% of your MHR
In this zone, you develop your basic endurance and aerobic capacity.  An easy recover running should be completed at a maximum of 70%.  Another bonus of working out in this zone, is that you are fat burning.  You may help your body lose weight when in his zone.  It will allow your muscles to re-energize with glycogen, which was expended during faster paced workouts.
The Aerobic Zone
7-% to 80% of your MHR
When you train in this zone, you are developing your cardiovascular system.  This is training your body to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles.  This process will help develop and improve your muscles.  As you get fitter and stronger from training in this zone, you will be able to run your long weekend runs at 75%.  This will have the added benefits of fat burning and improved aerobic capacity.
The Anaerobic Zone
80% to 90%
Training in this zone will develop your lactic acid system.  In this zone your anaerobic threshold can be found.  When you train in this zone, the amount of fat being utilized as the main source of energy is greatly reduced and glycogen stored in the muscles is predominately used.    One thing about burning glycogen is that lactic acid is produced.  Your body will get to a point were it can no longer remove the lactic acid from the muscles.    At this point, you have hit your anaerobic threshold.  
The Red Line Zone
90% to 100%  
Training in this zone will only be possible for short periods.  It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibers and helps develop speed.  This zone is used during interval training and only the very fit are able to train effectively within this zone.

What did we learn?
That we should be working out between 70% to 80% of your maximum heart rate to be in the best fat burning mode.  Occasionally you can take your heart rate up to 85%.  But, you should not work above 85%.   Working above 85% just puts to much strain on your heart.
A good friend of my always reminds us, be the turtle not the hare.  Which basically says, go slow and you will get to your results.  Going faster, isn't always going to be the winning answer. 
So, stay in your zone.  The as mentioned yesterday, the easiest way to watch your heart rate is with a heart rate monitor.  But, you can still do it all with just a watch and a little patience.

No comments: