About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Thoughts on Road Warrior


This mornings workout was something different.  I decided to try my new Tony's One on One video.  This is disc 2 in the series, Plyo Legs being Disc One.  One my initial review of Plyo Legs I thought Tony talked to much and too to many breaks.  Now, after doing the workout a few times I realize it works and the breaks are ok to allow my legs a little recovery time.

But, today I wanted to try the new one, Road Warrior.  This workout is made simple and easy to take with you if you are traveling.  Its an all over workout that only requires your DVD and a simple resistance band!  Tony will run you through a variety of chest, shoulders, back, arms, legs and butt routines to give you a full body workout in 54 minutes.

My thoughts are, Tony goes very quickly.  He gets into the move and whips them out.  No wasting time.  At first its hard to follow his set-up as to use the bands for the move, so I think I was a few reps behind him.  Not to worry though, because I was not at his pace anyway.  I'm sure if I do this workout a few more times, the speed between moves would not be a problem.

I think the resistance bands are always awkward to use, but once you get them to the right resistance, they really work!  I recommend trying the workout a few times to verify what strength band you need before you travel with it.  I decided to use the magenta band.  I think it was really good for 90% of the moves.  It really challenged me and made me feel the burn.  But, there were a few moves that the magenta band was just too much.  So, it would have been nice to have a lighter band available.  So, my question, could I go with a lighter band to get a good workout on those 2 moves where the magenta was too much and just "tighten" the band up when I do moves that I need more resistance?  Or will I not get as much of a challenge out of the moves where the magenta was a good choice?  After playing with different bands, I may come up with the thought that I many need two different color bands to get the best workout or I just go with the stronger band and really work up to getting through those 2 hard moves.  (Knowing me, I would probably do option 2 verses carrying 2 bands.)

At the end of the workout Tony does a speed round!  Whoo baby, this is fast.  Here he really speeds it up.  He does 20 reps of each move and moves from move to move without any breaks.  What would be nice is if he could at least tell you what he is going to do as he sets up.  Like, now we move into bicep work.  It would help keep you up with him, but its not hard to figure out.  Plus, I think the more you do the video, it would be easier.  He really does each set in about the same order (chest, back, arms, tri, shoulder, legs,.... Ok, I could have this out of order, but you get my gist.)  So, when he gets to the last speed set, it really isn't a surprise about the order.  

Finally, what about Tony!  Well, you still have crazy Tony!  This time he talks a whole lot less then in Plyo Legs.  In Road Warrior you get to hear Tony sing!  yes folks, Tony shows us his wonderful signing abilities.  Hmm, maybe holding your ears might be good in that section, ok, so not that terrible, but let's just say- Tony, stick with your day job and skip trying out or American Idol!  Also, you get to see Tony split his pants while working out!  Then he continues through the workout, torn pants and all.

So, my recommendation- its a winner!  Challenging overall.  A lot of new and old moves, in new and different orders then all the other videos by Tony.  It's definitely a good workout to take with you.  You do not need a lot of space and the resistance bands don't take up a ton of suitcase space!  This will keep your workout on track either while home or away.

Sitting here typing a few hours after my workout, my arms are still burning!  I think that is always a sign of things well done!

No comments: