About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Resistance Bands


I've been doing Slim in 6 Burn it Up these last few days!  My workout to get me all warmed up for P90X's October 1 Challenge!

When I do SN6, I always seem to use the resistance bands, why, because Debbie does?  It just makes sense!

This time, I decided to use the Beachbody Magenta colored band for my workouts.  Checking the BB website, this is a 20 lbs resistance band!

I have to tell ya, I'm not a huge fan of the resistance bands, I'd much prefer the free weights.  But, using the harder bands for this round of Burn it Up is really been challenging!  That magenta band is kicking my butt!  The back flys, the shoulder press and the tricep work are all harder with the bands then if I would do the same moves with the free weights.   My coach said to increase my muscle tone, I need to up the weights in my workouts!  I think I have been whimping out to easily.  Plus, I don't have heavier weights to use!  But, the bands are a nice alternative!  The multi-color bands provide different resistance.  Where you stand on them, or where you wrap them,... also really increase or decrease the resistance.  For example, stand with the band under both feet, feet wide apart make the band shorter for bicep curls, but move your feet closer together makes the bands longer and reduces the resistance!

The P90X videos show every single move being done with free weights and also with the resistance bands!  It also shows you an alternative to a pull up by using the resistance bands!  Thank about it, when you look at the X and say, awhhh, I don't have enough equipment to do that workout, all you need is a resistance band!  Maybe 2 different colors depending on your strengths.  

The other great thing about the bands, they are sooo easy to travel with.  If I was traveling and wanted to take my workout with me, I could easily pack the DVD and a resistance band and I could do all of Slim in 6 and possibly all of the P90X videos!  I think TMT also uses resistance bands, so other programs are available with just a few bands for a good resistance workout!  

How great is that!  And, after doing Burn it Up, I can feel my shoulders, biceps and back all burning from the bands!  

I say you want to add a little variety in your workout, up the strength of some of your moves without really thinking about it- try the resistance bands instead of the free weights.

Beachbody has bands that range in 15 lbs to 50 lbs!  The lightest one (pink I think) is still very doable for all the workouts in SN6 (even the tricep work)!

I've also been told that the Beachbody resistance bands are higher quality then some that you find in stores.  I've heard people say they bought bands from a local retailer only to have them tear about in no time.  Then turned around and ordered the ones on Beachbody's site!  I still have resistance bands from when I ordered SN6 in like 2002 that are still in  good shape and used!

To learn more about the different Beachbody resistance bands available, click here.

No comments: