About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Monday, September 8, 2008

Welcome to your Skinny House!

I was reading an article in Health Magazine, yes I read a lot!  It said there are things that you could do in your house to help you lose weight!  I bet you never knew that things in your house could make you slowly add on the pounds!  So, here are some of their secrets to drop 10 lbs inside your front door!

1. The front door! - Use should enter through the front door.  Not a side or rear door that makes you enter through the kitchen!  People who pass through the kitchen room tend to graze, eating 15% more then those who don't.  

2.  Your Bedroom  
  • Hit the closet!  - When you change into your workout cloths, thing snug, not baggy!  Wearing fitted cloths will make you feel more aware of your body and less likely to overindulge.  Invest in fitted yoga pants that feel good but still allow you to see what you look like.  
  • Reflect on this
Do - Hang a full length mirror in the bedroom/bathroom.  It lets you honestly asses your naked body when you are about to hope in the shower.  You can gauge weight loss progress by how your cloths fit!
Don't - hang a full length mirror near fitness equipment.  People who workout in front of a full length mirror feel less energized and less positive.

3.  Your kitchen  
  • Go micro.  Use a microplane grater.  "This inexpensive, invaluable kitchen tool allows you to finely grate parmesan like baby hair, so you can get the flavor without the fat.  (microplane.com). Other simple kitchen gadgets. Cordless immersion-able blender  to puree foods.  Pureed foods are high volume, filling and an amazing weight loss trick.  An ice cream scoop - to make portion controlled muffins, turkey burgers.  
  • Grow a zero-calorie garden - Have fresh herbs in plain site, their sight and scents tempt you to eat healthy.  They add amazing flavors at almost no calories.  
  • Keep your healthy cookbook in sight! Helps ensure you will whip up healthy meals.
  • Toss out the junk food!  Get rid of temptation.
4.  Your dining room  
  • Reach for chopsticks - trade forks for chopsticks.  You are forced to eat more slowly and deliberately, which makes you consume less and feel fuller.
  • Your dishware - use smaller plates, they make portions look larger.  Having a large plate tends to filling a plate with oversized portions.  
  • Rethink the red color! - Restaurants use red, yellow and orange because these are proven to stimulate appetites.  Think McDonald's logo!
5.  Your family room 
  • Set this rule - Designate certain TV shows 'cardio only shows" or pump weights during commercials.  Also, watch one show a night.  Research found that people who watch TV for an hour eat 28% more than if then watch for half an hour.  
  • Have a family room get fit kit - Pull workout gear (weights, resistance bands, jump rope, yoga mat, videos,...) out of the closet and keep them in a basket by your couch or TV.  If its visible and within reach, our way more likely to workout with it.  
  • Get  a Wii, or Wii fit! - Get an interactive video game if you are going to be playing!  It helps increase your heart-rate.
6.  Your bath - Still hungry after dinner, have a soak.  It can distract you.  Add bath salts or candles of light green apple or peppermint.  These scents suppress appetite, making you less likely to grab a snack.

7.  Your bed
  • Set up a slim nightstand - add cucumbers to water.  The vegetable is a natural diuretic, so can help eliminate bloat overnight.
  • Beat tomorrow's cravings - Sleep deprived can make you put on more pounds by increasing the hormone gherlin, which stimulates appetite and decreasing leptin, which lets you know when you are full. Get better sleep by investing in higher thread count sheets and top quality pillows.
8.  The science of  slimming your space.
  • Turn up the lights - dimming them makes you more adapt to eat more. People tend to underestimate the food they eat in the dark. If you do dim the lights, then pre-plate your food instead of eating family style.
  • Serve ice cream in a tea cup - You will save hundreds of calories.
  • Hang the right artwork - Try a fruit or vegetable still life. Posters of healthy food in a dinning room result in diners eating more fruit and vegetables and less meat.

All tips above from an article in Health Magazine, September 2008.


No comments: