About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Assisted Pull-Ups

Emily on the boards found an alternative to the chair assisted pull-ups with the use of resistance bands.   Here is what they say about the assisted pull-up with the resistance band.

You take a resistance band and loop the handles of it around the handles of the pull-up bar so the band hangs down like a U-shape. Step on a chair, grab the pull-up bar, then put your feet on the U of the band. You will sink to the ground...but, when you do pull-ups, they are assisted with however much weight the band is. So, If I weigh about 140 and use the green band which is 30 pounds, when I do the pull-ups it is like I am pulling up only 110 pounds. Therefore it is a great way to modify the pull-up without having to fumble around with the chair (I always found myself working my legs this way...) and you are not doing lat pull-downs either. It is great! As you get stronger, the band will get lighter so that you are pulling up more of your body weight until eventually you don't need any bands at all. I am using the green band, and today, I was able to consistently do around 10 reps for each of the pull-up exercises. I am SURE that my back got a great workout, and I didn't have that normal forearm strain I was feeling with the bands. And I didn't have the "I need to use a chair, but I can't figure out how not to cheat and use my legs to push myself up" problem either. I suggest any one try this method if your program has you do pull-ups and you are currently struggling with donig the real thing. It's a great alternative!

I've attached, below, a short YouTube video for you to see how it is done.  This looks kind of scary to me with the slingback of the bands.  And, I totally agree, make sure you get a high quality resistance band!  I have heard of some bands that are bought at places like Wal-Mart that snap just from daily use, these are going to be holding a lot of weight!

I still think I like the chair better for the assisted pull-ups!   I think it seems safer.   I know people say they get a lot of legs involved.  I thought this too at first.  I since have modified and played with the chair location and my form to make sure the workout is in the back!  Here are a few things I have learned along the way to make sure my pull-ups with a chair are more in my back. 
  • I basically push the chair out in front of me a little further so its away from a normal 90 degree bend of the leg.  This makes it harder to get the legs involved.  But more or less is to help guide me up and keep my balance.
  • I try to only use 1 leg on the chair for the pull-up.  The others tends to hang in front of bent, which ever works.   Again, this keeps less work on the legs then the back.  Especially with the chair a little further away.
  • I tend to only put my toes on the end of the chair, verses the whole foot.  My toes don't have as much power as my legs to lift me up. 
  • As I get stronger, once I am up an chin is above the bar, I really focus on the negative of the move.  Meaning, I remove my feet from the chair.  At first I would just hang there for a bit, then use the feet on the chair to lower myself and repeat.  Now, I use the chair to get me up, then I lower myself without the use of the chair.  This is an unassisted "negative" of the move and still works on building your back!  As you get stronger doing just this, then you will get stronger in pulling yourself up without the chair!
If you are a Million Dollar Club member, please go back in the Trainer Tip Corner, Tony's Section of his Fitness Tips and get video of the assisted pull-ups with the chair (see pull-ups video).  

I'm throwing this video out there because for some of you, the help of using resistance bands may work to build your pull-up strength easier then the chair?  I just say, use caution.  Maybe tape the bands together (or use a single band)/and towel to the bands. I'd also try and find a way to tie the bands down to the wall, so if they do slide off your legs, they don't sling back up in our face.  Maybe a small eye hook, with a string around the bands to the hook?  I don't know, just throwing ideas out there?

No comments: