About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Changing Lives One Person at a Time

I have been talking about Team in Training and how I am running this marathon. Yes, it is a personal goal of mine. Being a Beachbody Coach and more like being a Beachbody Customer for over 2 years really has gotten me in the best shape of my life. But, working with Team in Training and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, really has made me see that this fitness kick of mine is really not about me! It's about helping others. Everyday, I try to help others reach their health and fitness goals with Beachbody programs. Everyday, I'm in the community talking and seeing how people are changing their lives. But, in the same sense, everyday I see people who struggle to reach their goals. I know it's hard, very hard. We were all their at one time ourselves, wondering what happened to us? Where did we fail ourselves and why is it so hard to get back to the old me. But talking to the folks with LLS, and meeting the kids and people who have to deal with the cancers this world throws at us, I am learning a lot more about myself and the meaning of helping others! This is truly and opportunity to give back to the community, the people!

One of my Beachbody coaches, Randy, had a story to share with me of his own personal journey. He too, was a Team in Training member a while ago. Only he biked a 100 miles! (He says biking he can cost, us runners who go for 26 miles are the crazy ones! I still have to wonder!) His story is so inspiring and really brings a smile to my face! This story has a twist I never expected, so wanted to share!

And, Randy first thanks for sharing, and second- YES, I want to hear more of your crazy stories! So, please share them!

Oh Yeah, Diana is also a Beachbody Coach, still committed to helping change lives!

Read more of Randy's Beachbody Journey on his page by clicking here (or have Randy be your Beachbody Coach!)


August 27, 2009

About ten years ago now I made a decision at the age of 43 to finally give up almost 20 years of soccer seasons after a nasty on field collision that tore the posterior cruciate ligament completely off the back of my left knee. This required the first surgery of my life to repair torn cartilage but the ligament could not be fixed. Within six months of no more year round conditioning I started to gain that middle age bulge everybody had always warned me about but I had never experienced. About this time I decided to enter the Body For Life contest. I had never been muscular. I was always the skinny guy that relied on quickness on the field. Now I was entering a body composition competition. In 12 weeks I bulked up, toned up, lost fat, and was in the best condition of my life. I did well in the competition and became a success coach for future competitors. Soon I was coaching four other people who were just getting started. One of these folks was Diana. A separated mom of two boys who lived near Dallas, Texas.

Diana was my biggest success story as a coach. In 24 weeks she lost 65 lbs. She is 5’4” and went from 174 lbs to 109, looking toned and terrific with a newly restored self confidence and growing in every area of her life. We began to move from email to phone conversations, from workout discussions to many life discussions. A bond was growing. One of the passions we had both begun to pursue was biking. For me it was a way to rebuild and maintain my endurance. And for her a simple love of the bike. And she had become what I called an endurance cardio queen

As it turned out the lady who sold me my racing bike was a Team In Training coach and asked if I would be interested in doing a fund raiser. At the time she asked there were two factors influencing my decision. I had never ridden more than fifty miles at one time and wasn’t sure I could finish. But after explaining how it’s all about raising money for those with these terrible diseases, and knowing someone personally who had just been diagnosed, I committed to doing it for her and went to the meeting. It was exciting to see others that were making the same effort, and I signed up to raise a minimum of $4000 to go to Lake Tahoe and do my very first century ride (100 miles) on behalf of my friend Rosie.

I was excited to call Diana and explain to her what I was doing. And even more excited when she told me that she had just signed up with a TNT team in Texas to do the same ride! TNT works with you all through the training process helping you get prepared. Finally the day came to head to Tahoe. So the first time Diana and I finally met in person was to ride 100 miles together. I don’t believe all these things happened by accident. All those factors don’t add up as circumstantial. How do you explain an IT Manager from a little town in Indiana meeting up with this gal from Dallas, Texas in such a way and yes, eventually it all leading to dating and marriage (six years already). Together just the two of us raised over $8000 for TNT that year at the Tahoe ride. And we had over twenty riders from Indiana and over 40 from Texas. The ride I first wasn’t sure I could finish, we finished together averaging over 17 miles per hour. This is a wonderful way to do fundraising because it takes commitment; it stretches you as a person; and you’ll be very proud of what you accomplish both physically and fiscally. The TNT people were wonderful to work with, and we’ve supported them many times since. We’ve also encouraged others to commit to doing something they thought maybe they never could, (like ride 100 miles or run 26 miles) on behalf of those who can’t. You won’t regret it.

After the Tahoe ride, Diana went on to do Lance Armstrong’s Ride for the Roses, and two years in a row rode and completed a ride in Texas accurately called Hotter than Hell because it’s in Texas in August in 100 degree weather. There’s an instant weight loss program for you. We’ve done numerous century rides together since then. We had our sixth anniversary in June and she’s still my “Cardio Queen.”

Now we do BeachBody together. Still keeping each other accountable. We are still in the midst of a lifelong pursuit of great physical fitness because we understand what that means to every other area of your life. BeachBody has also been great to be a part of for some of the same reasons. There are always workout partners, and coaches available so we keep each other accountable, and continue to learn together. The fact that you can make a business out of it if you want to is just icing on the cake.

Now ten years later, at 53, the century rides are still well within my reach because as Tony Horton reminds us to do, I just keep “Bringing it!”

So there you go Heather. In a way, Diana is my TNT bride. Lol Some other time I could tell you about how hard it was to train for the switchback mountain climbs when you live in the plains of Indiana. And how I had to learn a hard lesson about not pounding the hills so I wouldn’t lose speed while Diana used her granny gear to save some leg strength for the 1000 foot climb at the 90 mile mark, and passed me by when my legs were gone (I never stopped and walked, but I wanted to). J

I’ll be anxious to hear your story as well. I’m proud of you! Run Heather Run!

Your friends,

Randy and Diana Hartman



Remember, to support my Team in Training running for a cure, simply click here.

No comments: