About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Quick Protein Snacks - Lean Protein Foods & Muscle Building Meals

I've had a few people ask me, what are some good healthy protein snacks? I keep saying, you should plan on eating 5 meals a day, which includes 2 snacks. I personally try to make my snacks high in protein to help give e a full feeling. Plus, the protein helps build the muscles that I am working so hard to get!

I found this article online at shapefit.com and wanted to share a few good protein snack options. What do I snack on- if I don't get to the store, I usually have P90X protein bars in my desk. I often do almonds as my morning snack (just a tiny handful, be careful not to go crazy here.) Lately I will take an apple and add a little peanut butter, again watching the serving size! Those are some of my options, I also like yogurt, cottage cheese and even on occasion make myself a whey protein shake with frozen fruit! So, the options are really endless!


Quick Protein Snacks - Lean Protein Foods & Muscle Building Meals

Protein, like carbohydrate and fat, is a macronutrient that our bodies need to provide energy to our cells and muscles. It has a series of functions in our bodies that include cell repair and maintenance. It also has a stabilizing effect on blood sugar, unlike simple carbohydrates that send your blood sugar soaring. When your body senses a high blood sugar, it releases insulin, which then sends your blood sugar spiraling downwards prompting you to feed it some quick acting carbohydrate, and the seesaw cycle of high and low blood sugars starts all over again.

Snacks are important as they help to refuel the body. Snacking on vending machine selections can add calories in the form of fats and sugar, and provide little nutrients in the diet. Because protein has a balancing effect on blood sugars, it's a good choice for a snack. Taken with a complex carbohydrate, like fresh fruit, cut-up vegetables, or 100% whole grain crackers, it can stave off hunger pains, keep you energized, and keep you from eating sweets.

Protein is found in both animal and vegetable foods. Animal foods can also provide fat calories so it is best to select leaner cuts of meats or low fat dairy choices. Below are some examples of low fat, high protein snacks and are divided into their sources. They can be eaten alone or combined with complex carbohydrates to provide sustained energy.

Vegetable Sources:

  • 8oz soymilk
  • 1oz soy cheese
  • 2T hummus
  • 1oz unsalted nuts (22 almonds or 10 walnuts)
  • 2T all natural peanut or almond butter. Be careful because the nut spreads can lend a lot of calories in fat. A healthier product would be to purchase a non- hydrogenated nut spread where the oil is separated and sitting at the top of the jar.
  • ½ c legumes (chickpeas, kidney, cannelloni, etc)

Animal Sources:

  • 8oz non-fat or 1% low fat milk
  • 1oz low fat cheeses (less that 5 grams of fat per ounce) such as part- skim milk
  • mozzarella (string cheese), Laughing Cow cheese, fat free American, soy cheese, Jarlsberg Lite cheese , 50% reduced cheddar cheese.
  • ½ c nonfat or 1% cottage cheese
  • 2T nonfat cream cheese
  • One container of low fat or nonfat yogurt
  • One egg or ½ c egg whites
  • 1-2 oz of sliced deli meats like turkey, chicken, ham, and lean roast beef
  • Whey protein powder (available in health food stores in health specialty stores)

Another quick option is to eat a sports bar for a snack. Check the food panel to make sure it contains a significant amount of protein and is high in fiber.

Remember, it's important to eat three balanced meals a day, along with the two to three snack choices from the lists above. The key to a healthy diet is to make sure that you are getting an appropriate amount of calories a day as well as to ensure the proper distribution of these calories between the three major macronutrients, protein, carbohydrate and fat. A registered dietitian can assist you in setting up a personalized menu plan to ensure nutritional adequacy.

By Sophie Kamveris


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very great and knowledgeable blog.. I prefer you another ab toner Slendertone Discount which gives you more sexy shape and body.