About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

My First Marathon!




If you read my last post, I have lead up to my big day! Sunday was going to be race day. (Hmm, Why do I always call it a race when I know I will never win?)

I was still in shock of how cold it was! Seriously, the weather channel was reporting a low of 28 and a high of 40 all day. Plus, we had a wind chill advisory going on! Seriously, it's Florida! I swear hell was freezing over because I was preparing to run 26.2 miles. There was something crazy going on! The whole 5 months of training was hard (including snowstorms,...) why would I ever think having a nice race day weather report be in my book? But, did it have to be so extreme?

Ok, so Sat. night I was preparing for my race. I had to put little Minnie ears on my hat! If I was going to be cold and run 26.2 (never forget that .2 miles, I think that was the hardest part), I was going to have fun doing it! I also went through my suitcase. I was so happy I had the urge to pack my Under Armour that was meant for the cold (below 50 degree) weather. I never planned on having to use it! I also think, it wasn't enough for how cold it was that weekend! But, it had to do.


I tried to go to bed early. I turned off all lights and laid in bed from 8 pm on. Yeah, crazy I know. But, I had to get up at 2 am and I wanted to be rested for my race! That was a joke. I don't think I really slept at all! I was so nervous/excited,... Therefore sleep was not an option!


Once 2 am came, I was up and getting ready. I double checked everything. Bibs, shoes, D-tags,... Ate my bagel with peanut butter! I was ready. Time to go downstairs and meet my team for our 2:45 am meeting.


I think because of how cold it was, we waited till 3:30 to catch the bus. So, those last few minutes of warmth to mentally prepare for our day was worth it!

4 am, we are at Disney, at the runner's village! Getting ready for the race to start! Now, we had to stand around until around 5 when we started the walking journey to the race starting line. In my agenda, hit the porta pots at least 3 times. (Why, because that was recommended to me by one of my coaches! Get all the nervous gotta go's out before the race starts).

It was cold! Everyone was wearing layers of cloths and trash bags. We all hurdled together as much as possible to stay warm! But, finally we could walk to the starting line. I checked my BodyBugg. I had walked almost 6000 steps by 5 am, and I still had 26.2 miles to run!

I was surprised. My Baltimore 1/2 marathon time had qualified me for corral D. When I got there, I was in the first corral! I was so close to the actual start! Of course, the elite runners had their own area, but for us normal runners, I was in the first wave! I was close enough to see Mickey and Goofy on stage. I was close enough to see the fireworks. I almost felt like a fast runner. (In my dreams!) While waiting, I tried to stretch a little! Ok, it was still so cold, and that wind! It never really let me warm up!


5:45 am. The guns fired, and we were off! We were at Epcot. We had a chance to run through a little of Epcot, then ran out onto the serve roads. It was so dark and quiet for the first few miles. I was running faster then I wanted to, but I was excited. I also knew, that I had to slow down and go my pace, as I had a long way to go!

Finally, at about mile 4 we come running back into Epcot. We got to run under the big Epcot ball (spaceship earth) that was light up (yup, still pitch black outside). I was so overwhelmed with everything and the excitement, that the ball had brought tears to my eyes! I was so happy for all the months of training, fundraising. I was so happy to be there at that moment!

The race continued. We ran through Epcot's world showcase. Past all the countries of the world! The park was closed yet, but the cast and crew and characters were all there to cheer us on! It was amazing, and want buy so fast!

From Epcot, we left and did a few more service roads on our way to Animal Kingdom. We passed bands, cheerleaders, more characters all cheering us on!

We ran in and around more countries including Asia and Africa in Animal Kingdom. I think it was still so cold that the animals were hiding! But, we kept running.

From mile 7 on, I realized quickly it was going to be a long run! See, I had what I thought was a broken toe from one of my training runs. So, running on that little toe was painful. I quickly learned I had to change my gait enough not hit that toe! I was also suffering from some other injury I got during my 20 mile training run. I had torn a butt muscle or something??? All I know is my tush hurt. Even worse, it was shooting pains down the back of my leg!! It was like a charley horse in my rear end! This happened ever 1-2 miles. NOT FUN! It was so cold, that my legs and body were not warming up! I knew I would be struggling, but I knew I would go on! My goal at mile 7 was to not stop running until at least the half way point. From there on, I would do more of a run walk to get to the end. This was because I was in a lot of pain an wanted to finish. I was so upset, because I trained so hard to run the whole race. But, I thought I just want to finish today!

Now, we finished running through Animal Kingdom. We were on our way to Magic Kingdom. The park was open to the public at this time! We got in and the crowd just cheered us on. Our friends and family were along the race course, cheering us on! As we ran up to Cinderella's castle, the trumpeters were playing and announcing us. It was amazing to run through the castle. Of course, after I got through, I had to stop and pose for a picture! I guess my time was not going to matter for a few minute break!

After we ran through the park, we had more service roads. On our way to Hollywood Studios. More crowds and characters were there cheering us on!

Running through Hollywood Studios was fun. We got to run down 5th Avenue, New York. There were a lot of characters putting on little skits! These all made me laugh and took my mind off the pain in my rear!

After running through Hollywood Studios we had more service roads. What made me laugh was the DJ who played the song "Oh Mickey your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind." Of course, that was like mile 21 and we ran past them again at something like 24 and the same song was playing. It thought, what is worse- running 26.2 miles or hearing that song over and over and over for HOURS!

As mile 18 came up and went by, each mile got longer and slower! After the half, I ran most of the mile, but walked a little bit. By mile 18, the walks became a little longer. By mile 21 the walking breaks because even longer! The cold did not help! It was so cold, that all the water stops became a big sheet of black ice! Yes, black ice in Florida! And, in the middle of a race! But, the wind just made your muscles so tight when you stopped to walk. I felt like a metal robot that was dunked in water. All rusted up and not able to move! It was like each step was hard but added a little oil to the joints for me to run again!

I must have looked bad. A few of the TNT coaches, stopped and checked on me. When I told them I needed a new butt, they just kind of said- sorry, I can't help you there! But, their kind words and their support, really helped me through those last few miles!

I think Mile 21 or so was all dedicated to Team in Training. If the last 20 miles wasn't enough of an emotional roller coaster, now I was running a mile dedicated to all those who were being honored or run in memory of. Those who had some from of blood cancer. The family/friends of all my teammates. Talk about a flood of tears wanting to come on! I was so struck with emotions in that mile. I knew my other reason (besides my goal to run a marathon) to help find a cure for cancer, and to run for those who couldn't. I knew the pain I was going through was nothing compared to what those who have cancer had to deal with everyday!


I kept on running. After mile 21, it didn't matter how much I hurt (and trust me, there were times I thought I would not finish), I was going to finish! If I had to walk the rest of the way, I was going to! But, I kept going! I ran/walked the last few miles. We finally got back to Epcot. Now the park was open. The crowd was cheering you on! Go go go. You knew the finish line was just a mile or so away! It was time for me to run! I was going to run as much as I could possibly run that last few miles.


Then, just before the end, there he was! I saw Michael, my husband. He was near the end waiting for me! Cheering me on as loud as he could. That was the push I needed! I ran to the end. I think it was that last 0.2 miles I had to go! Like I said, I thought it would never come. Like someone kept moving that finish line one more step further away!


But, finally 5 hours and 22 minutes after I started, I crossed that finish line! I had done it! I had finished my first marathon! My goal was to complete it in 5 hours. I was just over that. I was not as happy as I wanted to be because I know that if I was un-injured before I started, I would have done so much better. But, I finished! I knew I would be getting my Mickey Medal! I had achieved my goal!


If you're into the stats, here are my results.
There were a total of 16,896 finishers. (I think about 24,000 were registered to run)
I finished 9733 overall.
For my gender, I finished 772 out of 1520
For my age division, I finished 2899 out of 8157.
My official time was 5:22:26

I'll take that! I mean, I crossed the finish line and I was still standing!


I truly believe, you set a goal and it is easier to achieve then you think! Beachbody has been a huge part of changing my life and my fitness level. If I can do it, I know you can too! If you need help reaching your goals, please drop me an email! I can help you, and my support is FREE!

Heather

Changing Lives One Day at a Time!
Email: HeatherB@BeachbodyCoach.com

No comments: