About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Extreme Yoga


Since my marathon, I have been trying to recover from some type of muscle injury in my rear end! HA, I guess starting Brazilian Butt Lift yesterday isn't going to be helping that much. Anyway, I swore I would do more yoga to help stretch all my tight muscles. I have been working out with Tony Horton's One on One Fountain of Youth here at my house. I found that that workout is really making me focus on stretching. But, I have to admit, for some reason doing yoga at home takes a lot of patience and will power for me. I struggle to get through the workouts. But, I never seem to have a problem taking a class. I've always enjoyed Tony's live yoga workouts and they seemed to fly by!

Therefore, since I know I need yoga and getting it done at home wasn't working as well as I liked it to, I took a friend's suggestion and went to a Bikram Yoga Class this morning. Now, I call this yoga extreme! It's an hour and a half of yoga (yup, I was expecting Yoga X gone mad!) in a room that is about 105 degrees. I figured, any yoga will be good and that the heat, yes very hot, would really help me get the stretching and flexibility I wanted. I signed up for a 10 day unlimited number of classes program. Today, was day 1.

They tell ya to bring a mat, a towel to put over the mat, an extra towel to wipe away the sweat, and water. So, I was packed and ready to go. I'm game to try something new, plus a class of other like minded people really inspires me to push harder!

The room was hot! Just sitting there you start to drip. I knew it was going to be a long class. They warned me that my goal, as a newbie, was to just sit in the room the whole time. To get my body use to the heat. If I had to stop, just lie down and relax, but try not to leave. Ok? That and the dizzy and nausea is common was my tips as I started the class. Really, what was I getting into?

The class went really a lot better then I thought. The instructor was good. He did each move twice. Not to bad. You moved through them fairly quickly. He had this chatter talk (hard to explain) that you are supposed to focus on and do what he said to get through the moves. At first, it was like being at an auction, you had to listen hard to pick up the lingo and rhythm. Also, instead of staring in the mirror, I was watching those around me that seemed to know what they were doing!

I found out, I really need to work on my balance poses! When you watch someone else stumble, you tend to stumble too! So, staring into the mirror at a fixed point probably would have helped there.

I think most of the poses were similar to what we do in Yoga X or Fountain of Youth. So, yeah for not being totally lost! The heat definitely warmed the body up enough that you could push through the stretches just a little more then normal. Yeah! Flexibility here I come! What I didn't miss in this class were all the warrior type poses! This class was more about balance and flexibility!

I still think I have a long way to go to be really good and flexible. But, I did it! I survived the whole class without passing out. I managed to get through all the moves, some better then others!

I walked out of that hour and a half class soaked through and through! I think 5 lbs just melted away!

I have 9 more days, I think I will go a few more times. Then we will re-evaluate how I feel!

I am quickly realizing the importance of stretching and yoga in a workout program. I will have to remember to always include it in my program for at least 1 day a week! Tony is right, yoga is the fountain of youth!

My final thought- don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone and try something new! You never know, you may like it!

Heather

Changing Lives One Day at a Time!

No comments: