About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Running/Walking Training Tips

I'd like to share some tips for new runners. This is written from one of my Team in Training Coaches. I think it's good information, and wanted to share. Thanks Jonathan for sending this to all the trainees!


Training Tips

- Questions normally asked by new participants (Some questions and answers derived from Runner's World Article: "The Total Beginner's Quick Guide to Running" (Eck, Bauman, Remy; 2002)):

General Guidance: There are many methods and guidance out there about the proper form, technique, gear, nutrition, and so on for runners and walkers. The best advice for beginners is to slowly find what best fits your style, life, and goals.

1) How do start my run/walks?
Always start your runs/walks at a slower pace than your goal pace for that day. The most important step is to get your body (muscles and joints) warmed up slowly. Start by walking for an amount of time that feels comfortable - anywhere from 5-10 to 30 minutes depending on your mileage and goals. For those that are new to running, use the walk/run method: Once you can walk for 30 minutes easily, add in one- to two-minute running intervals into your walking. As you progress in the season, make the running intervals longer, until you are running for 30 minutes straight and beyond.
2) I always feel out of breath when I run. Is something wrong?
Running causes you to breathe harder than usual, so some amount of huffing and puffing is normal. Most of that out-of-breath feeling diminishes as you become fitter. Concentrate on breathing from deep down in your belly, and if you have to, slow down or take walking breaks. If the breathlessness persists, ask your doctor about the possibility that you may have asthma.
3) I often suffer from a stitch when I run. Will these ever go away?
Side stitches are common among beginners because the abdomen is not used to the jostling that running causes. Most runners find that stitches go away as fitness increases. Also, don't eat any solid foods in the hour before you run. When you get a stitch, breathe deeply, concentrating on pushing all of the air out of your abdomen. This will stretch out your diaphragm muscle (just below your lungs), which is usually where a cramp occurs.
4) Should I breathe through my nose or my mouth?

Probably the latter, which will allow you to get as much oxygen as possible to your working muscles. However, some runners/walkers breathe through their noses during training runs, believing that this keeps them more relaxed. Bottom line: Find out what works best for you!

5) Is it normal to feel pain during running?
Some discomfort is normal as you add distance and intensity to your training. But real pain isn't normal. If something feels so bad that you have to run with a limp or otherwise alter your stride, you're probably injured. Stop running immediately, contact your coach, and take a few days off. If you're not sure, try walking for a minute or two to see if the discomfort disappears. If it doesn't disappear, consult your Doctor.

6) What's the difference between running on a treadmill and running outside?

A treadmill 'pulls' the ground underneath your feet, and you don't meet any wind resistance, which makes running somewhat easier. Many treadmills are padded, making them a good option if you're carrying a few extra pounds or are injury-prone and want to decrease impact. To better simulate the effort of outdoor running, you can always set your treadmill at a one per cent incline.

7) How do I capture my goals and know if I am progressing?

The best gauge to use to capture your goals and your progress is to use a training log. Put all of your feelings, emotions, training environment, weather, mileage, etc in the journal so you can reference it later. It really helps. If you are unsure of your mileage during the week and do not have a GPS running watch, you can use multiple training and running sites on the internet to either map out your runs or track your progress throughout the season (examples: www.mapmyrun.com ;www.bimactive.com, etc).




I know a lot of people like to walk. When I was training for my marathon, a good portion of my team was walking their first 1/2 or even full marathon. Here are some tips from our local Team in Training Walk Coach. Thanks Tara. These tips are to help deal with the winter weather we are having.


Walking Tips:

What to wear / Get moving, at any pace / Setting goals

You are most likely wondering, What does a walker wear in this cold weather? I have an article that I will share with you from Women's Running Magazine that applies towards athletes at all ability levels and of all pace groups, for training in the elements.
*Wear layers of non-cotton, dry wicking clothing to draw moisture away from your skin.
*Your base layer may include tights /leggings, a long sleeve top (Under Armour is one great option, but there are less expensive options out there).
*Hat or head covering of some sort.
*Sunscreen! Even in the winter!
*Socks and sturdy running shoes for walkers. ( These are not necessarily the cutest, cheapest, most fashionable pair you can find on sale at Kohls). We will have a Gear Clinic at a running store in the near future to have you properly fitted for good shoes.
*Gloves or mittens.
*Some sort of pocket or waist pack to carry your car key and phone...just in case!
**Tissues and chapstick for your pocket!!!!**
*A positive attitude and open mind, ready to have fun and get to know some great new friends!!!
Other tips for dressing for training :
Music Players (Ipod or MP3) are optional. We do a lot of talking out there...it is totally up to you!
You may want to leave winter coats in the car! These are bulky and you will warm up a little bit as you go. You can always shed a thinner layer and tie it around your waist, or leave it in the bushes to pick up on your way back.
Some people keep a set of dry clothes and comfortable shoes to change into after training in the car.
* Check out this helpful website for even more ideas and details:
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/gear.html
We will chat about concerns and questions when the group gathers and we can discuss some of this on the trail! I am so excited to get to know all of you! See you soon!


No comments: