About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I hate to cook


Ok, I admit it. I hate to cook. You know why I hate to cook, I hate the process of figuring out what to eat. Have you ever asked your family, what do you want for dinner. I ask my husband that and get I dunno, or I don't care, or something similar to that all the time. It drives me crazy. So, then I hit the grocery store after work and wonder around going, what am I going to make.

Now, if you know me, my cooking skills are fairly limited. I'm kind of boring. If you ask me to pick something up for dinner, normally it would be chicken or fish, add a veggie and because I dunno what else, I would add in rice or pasta. But, you also know that I like to watch what I eat. And carbs for dinner at night was typically not on my menu. So, that meant no pasta or rice for me and a very boring dinner!

I have to say, Beachbody has revised their meal plan. Their menu has been totally expanded. I am beginning to fall in love with this! Here is why.

First, for those who don't know how to eat or how much to eat or what kind of diet they should follow, they give you a way to determine which will best suit your needs. I choose a 1500 calorie slim down as my typically planner. It fits, plus I know I can up/lower the calories a little based on what I did for the day. This makes it simple for those just getting started, because we all know a good healthy diet is hard to figure out! But, it's also the most important step.

Ok, so now I am in my diet, I go to the various meals and pick them out. I still may not follow the whole meal plan exactly as written. Like, I don't eat bacon, so bacon and eggs not going to happen. For me, I'd up modifying this meal to replace the bacon. (I know with the program you can save/modify meals and keep them as favorites for later, I still haven't gotten that far into using it yet.)

But, the other day I picked out 2 of the meals for the weekend. I wanted to try the Pesto Chicken Artichoke Wrap for lunch and the Scrumptious Salmon Cakes for dinner. I absolutely loved that I could just quickly print the meal, all the ingredients, and the how to cook instructions so that I could take it to the store with me then also keep on the counter to cook. Plus, when I printed it out, it was an entire meal. The salmon cakes meal had a pasta penne side dish with cheese and sun dried tomatoes! (yes, I did eat my pasta, but substituted whole wheat pasta in, so felt ok about it) and for dessert raspberries! I loved that I did not have to search through a cookbook, then right a list, then leave my book on the counter to get all messy (yes, I am also a messy cook, ask my hubby what the kitchen looks like when I'm done. )

I also loved that I could log on to the meal plan from my iphone. It was perfect to check while I was in the store trying pick up stuff for a healthy snack option that I decided on while there not pre-thinking like I should have done! I will use this the next time I stop at the grocery store on the fly home. I can quickly look up a meal, pull up the ingredient list and shop!

Anyway, I made the pesto chicken wrap for lunch. I chopped up the chicken in my Magic Bullet blender! HA, that thing can make more then Shakeology or protein shakes! This wrap was so easy. I loved the flavor of the pesto and the artichoke. It was a perfect light summer meal that I will make again! I also doubled the recipe so I could have enough for my husband. I think we ended up making at least 4 wraps from it! There was no need to really double it, but now I had lunch for the next day too!

Then last night I made the Salmon Cakes. Being from Maryland, I love crab cakes, but hate all the filling they throw into it, so was a little concerned at first how these would turn out. I have to say, these were really easy to make. I did swap out corn flakes with a little bread crumbs (don't worry, it's not a lot that you throw in, only like 2 spoonfuls or so). I also made the pasta with sun-dried tomatoes and cheese. I used blackberries for dessert since I couldn't find the raspberries. I'm also concerned that my husband will hate my "healthy" cooking. Mainly because as I noted above, I try to cook healthy, but that usually lead to boring and bland! Well, I got the seal of approval from Michael! I can cook! And knowing that I can do it a little easier with the right tools, I may just do more of it! (Yes, in this terrible economy, going out to dinner is way to expensive. So, we need to change. Plus, it will help me stay on track with reaching my goals)

I will definitely be using more of the club meal planner. I may let it just print the entire shopping list for my entire week and just follow it one day! Why spend time re-creating it when it will do it for me. (And, yes, you can take out meals you don't like and replace them with some of your favorites. Time is so limited these days, I need an assistant! This meal plan is my personal assistant to a healthy menu! Ok, it would still be nice if I had a personal chef, but this will have to do for now!

If your like me and you hate to cook or don't know what to cook, but are looking for a healthy way to stay on track. I really recommend you check out the new Beachbody Meal Planner. Yes, it costs $2.99 a week, but for it to give you endless meals, your entire week planned out to your meal plan requirements, a shopping list,... it makes it so worth it (plus all the other club tools you get!)
You can learn more about the club meal plan on my website at http://www.HeathersFitnessSpot.com, go to the Join tab. Or you can join today and download your recipe for tonight's dinner at http://preview.tinyurl.com/BeAClubMember

Ok, now maybe I can say - I like to cook!

Have a great day!
Heather


Visit my website to find a workout program that will get you results!: Heather's Fitness Spot
Join me on Facebook for more fitness tips and motivation: Heather's Fitness Spot

No comments: