About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Monday, August 2, 2010

Listen to your body!


So, I started P90X again last week. Yup, I went all out. I wanted to do more and push it to an extreme. I told myself, I can! So, go for it. HA! That was a mistake. Ok, so I did chest and back and pushed out more reps then I ever did before. I went deeper into those push-ups, I stayed on my toes, I used a little support as I could on the chair for those pull-ups! I went full throttle on day 1.

Yup, I paid the price! By day 3, I was so sore! It actually hurt to put on deodorant. My arm pits were sore! I plugged through, Day 2 was plyo. I jumped higher, I went deeper. I was going to give it my all!

Day 3 rolled around and it was time for shoulder and arms. Yes, as I noted, I was sore from day 1. But, it wasn't going to stop me! That is until about the end of the first set. See, I went heavy here too! Then, my body had a sudden pain. Not, a soreness, a pain! I had this terrible pain in my shoulder/neck area. I immediately STOPPED the workout! I was not going to push through pain. Yes, I know soreness. I will push through soreness, but once that soreness becomes pain, it's time to stop.

That was Wed. of last week. Today, I still have a terrible pain in my shoulder/neck area. You know that kind that hurts to turn your neck, or the one that gives you tingles down the arms. I have been listening to my body! I stopped P90X and just decided that running on a treadmill would be fine for me. Ok, so I know Ms. I Can Do It, just prove that I can Over Do It!

I went full force only to cause an injury and set me back. I'm pretty sore that the pain is a really bad know in my shoulder, but I am paying close attention to it. I am listening to my body! And, I am letting it recover! I am modifying my workout to something that won't bother my back/neck area. Am I disappointed? YES! Am I said that my 90 days had to come to a quick halt almost as fast as it started? YES! But, I'm going to rest for the week or so to get well, then jump back into my program.

I want to say for all those that are reading this, learn from my mistake!

1. Don't be macho on day 1, ease into it. You can go a little lighter/slower on day 1. Trust me, you will still be sore if you give 100%, just don't be stupid about how you give 100%!

2. Listen to your body! Always! Know that you can work through soreness. Heck, one thing I have learned from P90X is that if you are sore from the chest and back, the next workout actually helps loosen that area up a little. Plus, you always have Yoga and Stretch in the schedule to get you back. But, when you get real pain, STOP! Let it heal completely before jumping back into it. If need be, see a doctor! But, don't keep going! You could do more damage then it's worth and be out a lot longer!


No comments: