About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Friday, June 13, 2008

When is the best time?


I've heard people ask, when is the best time to workout?
I think that time differs for everyone.  I'd love to say, the best time for me to workout is bright and early in the morning.  That I set my alarm clock to get up an hour before I have to get ready for work.  Then I am awake enough to go Bring It!  Once my workout is done, I get ready for work, all bright eyed and bushy tail with just a ton of energy to get my day going.  I'd love to say that.  In reality, if I did that my day would be more like.  Set the alarm for 4:30 am so I have a good hour to workout before I need to get ready for work with enough time to walk my dog,...  But, then 4:30 hits and my alarm goes of.  I of course hit the snooze about a million times.  Most likely, that alone causes me to "miss" my workout.  If I do manage to get up without snoozing through the morning, I determined that my energy level is just not there.  I don't have the power and energy and desire to get up, get dressed, down that coffee and get my workout in.  I feel that whenever I attempt to do this, there is no real energy in my workout, my form is lacking because my mind still wants to sleep, and basically it's just a major struggle to get through the next hour.  I soon realized, that the morning workout would not work for me.  I did not want to risk the thought of injury because I had bad form from being half asleep.
I now determine the best time for my workout is pretty much right after work.  My energy level is still high from the day.  I walk in the door, I relax for maybe a half hour.  I check the message boards to get the extra push/support I need to go push play.  Then I change, log into WOWY and I'm off.  My workouts have a ton of energy, my mind is focused and I don't need to struggle through.  I finish my workout, I manage to get dinner started.  With a little help from hubby, he can watch dinner while I go shower.  I then proceed to eat and wind down my evenings.  The workout at the end of the day also brings a good stress relief for me.  It always helps me get a good sound sleep.  That has me refreshed and ready to go for another day in the daily grind of life.
Every one's energy levels, daily activities and mental attitudes are different.  You just need to focus on when is the best time of the day for you to get your workout in.  Once you have that time figured out, it will become a habit.  That habit will also become a "thing" about you for your family.  They will know for that hour of the day, it is the time you get the workout in and things need to be scheduled around that.  If it's a constant, its easier to incorporate into life, and less likely a time for excuses to arise.
So- my question to you - When is your body and mind at its best for you to bring your best?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally. I can never workout first thing in the morning.. even on weekends it is best after I am fully awake & half of my day is over.. I wish I was a morning person :O)

Heather B. said...

I so wish I was a morning person! I am one of those people who need a shower and coffee to get moving. Since I don't want to spend time getting up, making coffee, taking a shower, then working out, then having more coffee and another shower just to get ready for work. I have to do my workout later in the day. But, everyone is different and has different times of energy, so you just need to know when it is for you and take advantage of it!