About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Friday, December 19, 2008

ChaLean Extreme, Burn Intervals and Ab Burner Review


This morning I woke up looking forward to a day of cardio with Chalene!  After 2 days of lifting, I was starting to miss the cardio burn.  Don't get me wrong, I have been sweating buckets in all the workouts, but just wanted some cardio.  That rest day between 2 resistance days had me thrown "off."

So, this morning was burn intervals followed by some ab work.  It was an interval workout.  What I was expecting was the standard, start slow, build up the intensity to drop back down to slow and continue to repeat.  I guess I was thinking Fat Blaster to an extreme.  I was kind of nervous about how loud it would be, I know my neighbors downstairs hate the TJ workouts!  With my new 5 am workouts, I really do try and be quite to my sleeping husband in the next room and my neighbors downstairs!  But, a girl has to do what a girl has to do!

So, I pop in the DVD, I'm glad to see Intervals and abs on the same video.  Good, do not need to switch DVD's between workouts.  I also noted 2 ab workouts - ab burner and abs extreme!  Wow, that is a bonus (see I still need to read my books, but I thought it only came with one ab workout!).

Ok, now time to hit play.  Intervals was closer to 50 minutes, so a little longer then the last few, but still under an hour.  Perfect.  Then, you get started.  The warm up reminded me of Turbo Jam.  A few of her standard punches!  

Well, you do a few minutes of cardio work.  Different sets have different moves.  All are fun, and really get your heart rate up.  Some of the moves remind you of Turbo Jam, like high / low punches.  And even better where Chalene adds her spontaneous jumps to up the intensity!  Each cardio move is fun and just as you get tired, its time to stop for the recovery period.  I was looking forward to a low intensity section to rest my heart rate.  What I was not expecting- she pulls out the weights again!  Chalene uses 5 lbs for all the moves in Intervals.  I figured, light weights, 5 sounds good.  I don't use 5 for anything, so that is light.  (This is a perfect workout with the teal band - light resistance.  They also show you how to modify use with the band to keep it lighter intensity then previous days.)  I have to tell you, the recovery period is like a million bicep curls.  Yup, you do 2 straight minutes of curls!  Some normal, some hammer, some half up, some only the upper half, but you just keep going and going and going!  5 lbs sounds light, but after about a minute and a half, you are feeling the burn!  When it gets tough, you move on to the next high intensity cardio section.  Then, you go back to recovery with the weights.  My worst section is the 2 minutes of mainly tricep work!  Talk about bye bye flapping arms! 

I can't tell you how much my body was screaming during the recovery periods - WHAT KIND OF RECOVERY IS THIS???  This was definitely a new interval workout!  The cardio sections had my heart rate up, I was sweating, I was having fun.  And, yes, I was probably waking the neighbors!  The recovery sections really worked me!  There was even leg work with the turbo band.  Is that leg work our butt work?  I know my butt always feels the burn with the band!

Anyway, that was an intense 50 minute interval workout!  After the mainly arm workout yesterday, and then the million reps with "light" weights today, I can not recall the last time my tricep, biceps, shoulders, back, butt, legs,... were all so sore at the same time!  OMG is all I can say!

then, I move on to the ab workout.  Its pretty much a standard 10 minute ab workout.  I only did ab burner, not quite ready for ab extreme!  Its crunches, side crunches,...  A few newer moves then what I have seen in many of my other workouts.  It was good, and another tough 10 minutes.  But, you want abs- you will definitely know they are working with this workout.

So, day 4 or something done, and yet again, I am very pleased with this program.  I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.  And as for today, its another great workout in the books!  ChaLean is so different then P90X!  And, I love variety!


Remember, to order your copy of Chalean Extreme or any other program, just click here.  Have questions, drop me an email at HeatherB@BeachbodyCoach.com

Heather

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am about to start my day 4 with this program, and maybe this is cheating to read about it ahead of time, but I really loved your review!

Thanks so much!