About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Jingle Bell Run



It's been a long time since I last posted. Sorry, but time has grown really short lately. With the miles adding up for my marathon I've been busy!

This past week, I have taken the whole week off to really give my foot a little chance to recover. After my long 18 miler last weekend, I was sure it was broken. But, after a second opinion, my doc assures me, it is not broken, and I should be ok to run. Just as the miles grow, so will the pain! But, I will finish my Disney Marathon on Jan. 10th, if I keep going!

So, today I was scheduled to run 14 miles, but as I said, I planned to take it off. Heal a little before my last long run before my marathon of 20 miles next week. My friend told me of a small 5K Jingle Bell Run today. I thought it would be perfect! Go out, do a few miles, test my foot, but nothing to hard core!

It's funny, my only race I've ever entered and did was the Baltimore 1/2 marathon! This little 5K (3.2 miles) was like a warm up run for me these days. I figured, today I'd run a little faster then my normal marathon pace. I had a great time out there. I went out all decked out in my Christmas gear. Meaning, I had on a nice Santa hat with Mickey Ears (I thought it was perfect as I train to run with Mickey next month!), I put bells in my pony tail, I wear little PJ bottoms with snowflakes, an my ski Pj t-shirt. Of course, all this layered over my Under Armour cloths.

The weather was nasty! As I got there to register, it was not only raining, it was pouring and cold! But, just before the race, it started to snow! What a blast, what a way to get you in the Christmas Sprit but with a little snow!

So, the race was off! My bells were jingling the whole run! Yup, probably annoyed everyone around me. But, I seemed to pass many of them, so whatever. Hey- it is a Jingle Bell run right!


I have to say, I now completed my first 5k race. I have no clue what my official time was. Someone that finished with me estimated it at 28 minutes. I'll take that. That's just under a 9 minute mile. Not shabby considering I was not running full force for my foot was supposed to be doing a recovery week!

If you want to start running, I say go for a small 5k! This was such an informal event. It was a walk/run. The entry fee was $35 on race day, so not a big deal. All of the fee going to charity. A 5 k will set a goal for you. If you go run a few days, weeks before hand it will give you that push/drive to get to a point where you can go out and push yourself to run/walk a 3.2 mile course. Have a little fun, heck where bells! Just smile and go!

All you need to do to reach your fitness goals is to find something you love to do, then just do it. Set yourself up with something to reach for. My current goal is to train for my marathon. I know I have until Jan. 10th to work on getting up to the 26.2 miles I'll be running (ok, I started training in August, so this is not a new adventure.) I keep pushing myself everyday because I know I have a goal, I have a date and time I will be going for that goal. Excuses will not get me over that finish line. And, dang it, I want my Mickey Mouse Medal so I will go for it and I will get it!

Remember, if you need help reaching your goal, drop me an email. Let's get you started on a program that works for you. Start small, one step at a time!

Heather

Shakeology Web: www.HeatherBuchman.com
Email: HeatherB@BeachbodyCoach.com

If you would like to help me reach my other goal as I train for my marathon, to raise $3800 to help find a cure for blood cancer, please consider making a tax deductible donation today to help the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Please visit my website at http://pages.teamintraining.org/md/wdw10/hbuchman to make your donation! Thanks so much for your support!

No comments: