About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bad Choices


Sorry, I seemed to be missing in action for a little while here. I've been busy with work so I could plan and take a vacation. I just spent 8 days sailing around the Chesapeake Bay here in Maryland! Loved every minute of it. Here are some health and fitness tips I learned this past week.

1. When it came to meal planning, think ahead! I planned all my meals for the week on the boat which made my life so simple. All my choices where healthy, the portion sizes were perfect, the ingredients where right there! It was the best thing I could have done for myself this week, and something I will learn from. I took many of my dinner receipts from the South Beach, Taste of Summer Cookbook! Read my next blog for more details.

2. My husband snuck in some junk food, finger snacks (chips kind of stuff). Oh, so bad! I learned if I have it around, I eat it! Yup, those afternoon munchies, when I should have eaten my planned snack (almonds, fruit, yogurt, protein bars,...) all the good stuff I packed, I decided nope, the chips or cookies were better. So, lesson 2, don't buy it and have it around if you are tempted to me to just grab it! If its not available, you will reach for the healthy option!

3. On the same token as lesson 2, when it comes to munching, don't much while reading or doing another activity. This includes playing on the internet,.... It became mindless munching. Meaning, I ate way more then I should have when I just reached into that bag of chips. I was into my book and would grab the chips and just nibble. I quickly learned to at least pour a small handful of chips in a napkin and ate till they were gone, verses reaching into a bottomless bag! So, if you are grabbing the junk, at least limit your portion size in advance of the first bite!

4. Ok, on a 38 ft. sailboat, there isn't a lot of room to even walk. But, I did manage to get in some activity during the week. First, sailing alone I heard can burn 230 calories an hour. Ok, so who knows. I do know pulling those lines can really work the arms and back! Fighting Mother Nature and the wind is not always easy.

I also managed to do a few push-ups on the bow. I did a little basic yoga stretching on the bow of the boat early in the morning.

We also had tons of opportunity to get to land. So, I went for a long run in Annapolis yesterday! That was awesome, I got to see back streets, parks,... stuff I normally don't see when I just walk the town. Plus, getting a little lost made it even more of a challenge, and pushed my run a little longer then I would have done otherwise! :)

Also when in the different town, we did a lot of sightseeing and walking! Remember, not all workouts have to be the hard core resistance training or high intensity cardio. Walking for a few hours around town will burn calories!

So, the lesson, look for ways to get some activities in! There are always options available, so find a little time and do something! Plan ahead on the meal plans to make the best choices possible.

I know moving forward this week, I'm going to plan ahead and make my dinner menus in advance! That means shopping and preparing. No more, "Honey, what's for dinner?" since that can often lead to bad choices!

Here's to your health!

Heather

Remember, if you need help reaching your fitness goals, I'm a Beachbody Coach! I'm here to help you, and better yet, its free to join and start receiving my weekly newsletters!

Email: HeatherB@BeachbodyCoach.com

No comments: