About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Finding the right running shoe!





Alright, I decided to run and have I a pair of sneakers, so I'm good right?

Well, for me, no. I have been running for 2 weeks now and have gone about 40 miles so far in my training, and I feel it in my knees. I know my reason is my sneakers. They are old, worn and something I really just bought to play in. Nothing with real thought to actually running in for miles and miles.

So, today I decided to go to a real "running store" and invest in my feet!

I went to Road Runners here in Columbia, Maryland. First, as a member of Team in Training I recieved a 10% discount! Plus, for $20 a year, your entire family can become a VIP member and that gets you a 10% discount on everything. Well worth it for what I was going to be spending.

Here is what I learned and want to share a little. First, go to a place where the people selling shoes know what they are talking about. This place put me on a treadmill before even sizing my feet. They determined the pronation of my running stride. (Meaning do I turn my ankles in when I run because of my arch in my foot?) Since, I am a medium arch, I tend have some over pronation when I run. Thus, is the knee problems I am feeling!

Here are the 3 types of arch support people tend to fall in one of the categories. I know the current issue of Runner's World had a whole lot on information on running shoes and your style of running. If you are looking to find a good pair of sneakers and something to help prevent injury, I recommend checking out their website for more information. Simply click here to learn more from Runner's World. The video's on this blog are from Runner's World Website.

# 1. High Arch, # 2. Medium Arch, # 3. Low Arch ( flat feet )

For # 1 - Need a neutral shoe type.
  • Medium to large frame- Men 180 + lbs , Women 150 + lbs- need maximum cushion
  • Small to medium frame- cushion
  • Small to medium frame ( fast runners )- Lightweight cushion
For # 2 - Need a stability shoe type.
  • Medium to large frame- Men 180 + lbs, Women 150 + lbs- need stability with maximum cushion
  • Small to medium frame- Stability
  • Small to medium frame ( fast runners ) - Lightweight stabilty
For # 3 - Need a motion control shoe type.
  • Medium to large frame- Men 180 + lbs, Women 150 + lbs- need motion control with maximum cushion
  • Small to medium frame- motion control


I personally fell in category number 2. The sales person I had, Miki, was so wonderful. He helped find about 5 pairs of shoes that would fit my foot and running style. From their we narrowed it down.

I also learned that most shoes do not come with arch support! That you really should buy some type of arch support (at least if you fall in my category) to support your foot from turning in and helping your knees. For me, I decided to go with some custom inserts. I have these on my ski boots, and my ski boots fit like a glove and are so comfortable! I figured for running 300 miles, I might as well spend the money and get something that will help prevent injuries from the beginning!

My recommendations, if you are new to shoes, don't be afraid to talk to the sales person. I told him my goals, my miles per week, and from their he helped me find a shoe that will meet my requirements! This is not the time to be shy, that is what they get paid for. Do, take clean socks and wash your feet before ya go. A lot of bare feet to be had as you get for feet "tested".

This is one store where they welcome you to run around, so go have fun! Your feet, and knees, will thank you.

Oh, just for fun and since I'm a sailor and sailors like knots, here is a video for you. Do you tie your shoes right?

Have fun running or whatever workout you do!

As always, if you need help reaching your fitness goals, make sure to sign up to have me coach you for Free! Simply complete this form, then drop me an email and let me know how I can help you get the results you want!

Heather

Email: HeatherB@BeachbodyCoach.com

I running to raise money to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Please considering making a donation to support my cause and to help find a cure for cancer! Learn more here.

No comments: