About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

More about Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

I keep saying I'm running to find a cure, and maybe you want to know more. I'm running for Team in Training. They are part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). LLS is an organization raising money to support blood cancer research. Since I keep talking about my cause, I wanted to tell you more about the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and what the do.

Facts about the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • LLS is the world's largest voluntary health organization.
  • LLS's Patient Advocates Network now has more then 160,000 volunteers.
  • LLS's promise is to have all blood cancers to be curable by 2015. This takes accelerated research.
  • LLS receives no federal funding, they depend on the continued support of others.
Achievements in blood cancer survival rates (as a result of advancements in treatment funded by LLS).
  • The relative five-year survival rate for leukemia has more then tripled in the past 46 years.
  • The relative five-year survival rate for patients with Hodgkin lymphoma rose from 73% to 86% from 1975 until 2002.
  • The relative five-year survival rate for patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma rose from 48% to 64% from 1975 to 2003.
  • In 1960, ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) was almost a certain death sentence (under 5%) for children ages 1-14 (actual rate was 4%). Today, it is now over 85% (actual rate 87%)! ALL is the most common form of cancer in children.
  • Hodgkin lymphoma is now considered one of the most curable forms of cancer, thanks to radiation, chemotherapy or a combination of the two (both of which were developed with funding from LLS).
  • A newly FDA approved drug, Gleeve, has been shown to normalize blood counts in nearly all patients with chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). As a result of the success of Gleeve, in 2007, the relative five-year survival rate for CML patients is now at 75%.

Keep checking my blog for more information about the research that LLS helps to fund. As you can see, your donations to LLS do make a difference! 75% of every dollar you donate goes directly to the mission! So, please consider making a donation today!


Thanks in advance for your support! Together we can change lives!

Heather

Email me for more details how you can help: HeatherB@BeachbodyCoach.com
Website: www.TheFitnessSpot.net To learn more, go to the "Support My Cause" tab.

No comments: