About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Some Facts about Blood Cancers



Some of you may not know what Leukemia, Lymphoma and Myeloma is, so I just wanted to give you a few facts.

  • Every 5 minutes, someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer. This statistic represents nearly 75 people each day, or three people every hour.
  • Every 10 minutes, someone dies from a blood cancer. This statistic represents nearly 145 people each day, or six people every hour.
  • Leukemia causes more deaths then any other cancer among children and young adults under the age of 20.
  • Leukemia and lymphoma are the leading fatal cancers in young men under 35.
  • Lymphoma is the third fastest growing cancer rate among males and females age 35 and under.
  • Americans of African decent have more then double the incident rate of myeloma then those of European decent.
  • Over 1 million people are living with blood cancer in the US and Canada (894,543 estimated in the US).
  • About 10% (9.6% exactly) of new cancer cases in the US are leukemia, lymphoma, or myeloma.
  • ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) is the most common cancer in children 1 to 5 year olds and 1 to 7 year olds. The incident of ALL among 1 to 4 year old childern is nearly nine times greater then the rate for young adults ages 20 to 24.
  • ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) is the #1 fatal disease for children ages 1 to 14. It strikes 10 times more children then adults.
Keep checking my blog for more details about blood cancers and how the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is making a difference.

And, to make your donation to LLS and support my cause, simply click here! All donations are greatly appreciated!

-Heather

Email: HeatherB@BeachbodyCoach.com

No comments: