About Me

My photo
A little about me. In my normal life, I am a civil engineer who sits behind a desk everyday. I got married to my wonderful husband in 2006. Since meeting him and our many days of eating out and less working out, my weight started to creep up. In August 2007 my girlfriend wanted to get back in shape after her pregnancy. She talked me into running weekly with her. I agreed, and this began my plan to get my body back in shape. I wanted to add some additional workouts to my run, so I pulled out my old Slim in 6 videos. At the same time, I re-found the online message boards at Beachbody where I meet a lot of great people who kept me committed to my fitness goals. I also found a great coach who was there everyday to help me stay on track! Today, I'm still working to sculpt my body and get it into the best shape ever. As I have progressed through my body's transition, I decided to become an Independent Beachbody Coach to help others reach their fitness goals! I realized it was easier then I thought, and I really believe others can change their lives too!

Me and Michael

Changing Day by Day!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What I am learning as I run?


As the days tick by, my miles increase. So, what is my total miles run? I honestly don't know off hand. I'm actually loving the running and just want to goooooo. But, let's take a quick look.

Week 1- Long run only - 6 miles.
Week 2- Short runs, did 3 of 3 miles = 9 miles. Plus, 1 long run of 7 miles= total of 16 miles.
Week 3- I was sick so had some slower days. I did one short run of 2.5 miles, one of 3 miles, and one long run of 8 miles. Total of 13.5 miles.
This week is week 4, and today was a 3 miler!

So, total miles to date = 38.5 miles! It's amazing to see the miles just click away!

As I run, I am learning a few things that I'd like to share.
  • I learned at about the 2-3 mile mark, it's hard! I have to push myself some days. If I get sore or cramps at all, it's in this range. If I just slow down a hair, but keep pushing I get my second wind. And, when that wind comes, I take off and go! It's like there is no end!
  • I learned that if I run a route I never ran before so I don't know where my "mile markers are" or know that the bend in the road or that crazy tree means I'm half way done, the overall run is so much easier. It's like I don't know where the end is until I get there. Then when I do, it's like, really I'm done!
  • I learned to take music and find a station that plays to a beat that matches my running. I personally love the Pandora app for my iPhone! This lets me find a station that plays music that is similar to my pace.
  • I learned to enjoy the outdoors, enjoy the view, enjoy the trees. Being outside is the fun part of running. Enjoy the fresh air!
  • I learned to wave and say hi to every walker, runner, biker, and dog I pass on the way!
  • I learned to take it one step at a time! If that means stopping to walk to catch my breathe or to give my legs a break, I do it! No worries.
  • I learned to have plenty of water available when its hot.
  • I learned that when its hot, my runs are sad! Slow and HARD! But, those seem to build my endurance and make my morning long runs easy!
My recommendation, just get out there and go! Remember, if you walk 2 miles its the same distance as if I ran 3 miles. Only difference, is it takes a little longer! So, go enjoy the outdoors. Go enjoy the process! Just go one step at a time and don't worry about anyone else! Most of all, just have fun!

-Heather

If you need help reaching your fitness goals, let me know. I'm a free Beachbody Coach and am seeing my customers get results! If it wasn't for Beachbody, I know reaching my dream to run a marathon would never be this close! (visit my website at www.TheFitnessSpot.net to learn more)

I'm running for Team in Training. They work with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to raise money for the research to find a cure for blood cancer. I have a personal goal to raise $3800 to help find a cure! I know that if everyone that reads this could find in their heart to make a small donation of $10, that goal could be met and exceeded! Then, we all can say we helped save a life! If you want to donate, please visit my website. There is a link to my secured, Team In Training Donation page. (all online donations are made directly to LLS, I never see a dime.) - Click here to donate!

No comments: